Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Clearing Up My Adult Acne


Waiiiiit. Adults don't get acne! Most adults don't. Some of us do.

My friends in college: "You don't have acne, Merilee, your skin is fine!"
Me: "Wrong, my makeup is just really good."

When I started college in August of 2009, a horrible, frustrating, annoying, embarrassing delightful thing happened. I started to get acne, for really the first time ever.  

I assumed it would just clear up and go away, but four years later, I was still assuming that... and I still had it. By the time I married Derek in April of 2013, he had only seen me with no makeup (including bare skin) maybe once or twice. These times were specially selected when I had no extensive breakouts or anything. Obviously, now that I lived with him... he was going to see me with no makeup... a lot. Not cool. Even for the first few months we were married I did everything I could to avoid him when my makeup was off. I didn't feel pretty or desirable, and it was embarrassing.

One day, my life changed forever when I came upon The Regimen.

The Regimen.

The Regimen is amazing. The Regimen has changed my life. The Regimen is not a set of falsely advertised products to buy and try, it's actually a skincare technique. You can read all about it here at acne.org. I spent hours researching and reading about it and was so impressed because even though they do sell face wash, treatment, and moisturizer, the site owner also recommends specific drugstore alternatives (down to the brand and exact product, guys!) you can buy at Wal-Mart or Target, and using the technique he describes YOU WILL GET CLEAR SKIN! 

Hallelujah! 

So, I was like, this looks like the real deal! It's not gimmicky. There are no ads on the website. They sell products but also tell you drugstore alternatives that do the exact same thing. And I watched on YouTube several video reviews of people who cleared up horrible acne with this technique, The Regimen. I wanted to try it! And I did.

Guys. Four years of acne on my face was cleared up in TWO WEEKS with their sample product which I paid $5 shipping for. I could have died with happiness. I kicked myself for not finding it sooner!


That's me with zero makeup on. No shame, even if I look a little stupid!

Check out The Regimen at acne.org and do your own thorough research, and if you think it's for you (or your kid, or someone else you know with acne) share it or try it! I've recently had a hard time finding the list on the website of all the drugstore alternative products and the list of comedogenic ingredients you should avoid in your skincare products and makeup, so I've direct linked that here https://www.acne.org/supplies-guide.inc.html

Please, enjoy clear skin. It rocks!




What I currently use:
Face wash: Clean & Clear Essentials Foaming Facial Cleanser Sensitive Skin (or Oil Free) 8 oz
Treatment: Benzoyl Peroxide from acne.org 8 oz
Moisturizer: Olay Complete All Day Moisturizer with Sunscreen Sensitive 4 oz



Tell me, do you or someone close to you have a problem with acne? Are you excited to try it out? Was there another way you resolved your own acne? If you have any questions, please contact me directly or leave a comment!

*Note: Do not use benzoyl peroxide when pregnant
*Note: Can cause dry skin, redness at first. Please read about The Regimen at acne.org for full details




3 comments:

  1. oh my gosh good to know!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds amazing! Question, can you use benzoyl peroxide when breastfeeding?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There hasn't been much research on it yet (officially), but topically it has a low absorption rate so it's low risk for the infant through milk. But you should use caution (probably to make sure infant doesn't get any on them or rub/kiss some off you). That's the info I found when I researched it! I used benzoyl peroxide while nursing Benson. I encourage you to do your own research and then decide!

      Delete